Large early 20th Century mahogany partners desk
A large early 20th Century mahogany twin pedestal partners desk by “White Allom & Company of London”, the moulded edge top having a brown leather writing surface decorated with gold and blind tooling, the front of the desk having an arrangement of nine graduated, mahogany lined drawers with the original brass swan neck handles, at the top of each end are pull out slides, the back of the desk also has pull out slides, three mahogany lined drawers at the top and a cupboard below at each pedestal, the cupboard doors and sides of the desk have lovely decorative panelling, the desk is supported on a plinth base. Superb quality and in excellent condition. Circa 1910.
White Allom & Co were established in 1905, by Charles Carrick Allom (1865-1947), and were decorators, furniture manufacturers and antique dealers for many major collectors and clients in the UK and USA. Charles Allom was knighted in 1913 following his work on Buckingham Palace. The firm was bought by Holloway Brothers in 1960 and closed in 2011.
Among the many commissions that the firm furnished and decorated were:
The Frick Mansion, New York (1912-1914); Whitemarsh Hall, Wyndmoor, PA for E.T. Stotesbury (1919); The Huntington Library, San Marino, CA; The Waldorf Astoria, New York; Buckingham Palace, London; St. Donat’s, Wales, for William Randolph Hurst; Elvaston Castle, for the Earl of Harrington (1930).